Thursday, March 5, 2009

More about our President

Imagine my surprise when my sister-in-law informed me today that my niece asked her the very same question about Barack Obama that I posted yesterday!  (Well, except she said "Orock Obama", which is just too cute not to mention.)  My surprise quickly turned to disappointment -- clearly my boy did not come up with this question on his own.  Said sister-in-law explained that she believes the kids had both seen a segment on TV about this very topic.  Shoot.  And this after I asked him yesterday what made him think to ask about Obama's snoring, to which he responded, "I don't know, I was just wondering," in my eyes deeming his inquiry blog-worthy.  So, I asked Laurence again today, when I picked him up from school, and sure enough he managed to remember seeing some little ditty on Nick Jr. between Diego and some other show -- "The president in pajama's, what a sight!" and so on, concluding with the bit about snoring.  Oh well.  

In effort to take advantage of a teaching moment, and to test him as I've been known to do now and again, I asked, "Who is Barack Obama, Laurence?" and he says, matter-of-factly, "The President of the United States."  Onward we go, "And when did he become president?"  "On U-nauguration day....AND my birthday!"  (Yes, it's true!)  After a brief lull he asks, "What does that mean, 'President of the United States?'"  "Well, he is chosen to make very important decisions about all kinds of things, and he is the most powerful man in our country's government."  Laurence pondered this and rebutted, "But I thought God was the most powerful man in the government?"  Whew, now look what I started.  I think I'll wait until tomorrow to visit separation of church and state.

1 comment:

  1. Oh boy... I love how his mind works. Too cute and he always makes such good points.

    ReplyDelete