Sunday, March 15, 2009

Oooo, Bubbles!

I went into the bathroom this morning, followed closely behind by my 19-month-old shadow, Loic.  He kept himself busy while, I...kept MYSELF busy, when something suddenly caught his attention.  "Mommy!  Oooo, oooo, oooo!" he said enthusiastically, pointing at what seemed to me to be the wall just above the bathroom window.  "Oooo, oooo, oooo!" he continued, while I couldn't for the life of me figure out what was so fascinating.  "What do you see?" I asked.  "Oooo, oooo, oooo, bot moem lusg shomt....bubbles!"  He answered, clearly pleased that he'd gotten his point across.  Or had he?  Bubbles.  Hmm.  This was one of his first words, and has since carried multiple meanings.  For a while anything round was a "bubble," but for the last few months he has reserved the term exclusively for apples, pumpkins, and of course, bubbles.  I can honestly say there are no apples or pumpkins in our bathroom, nor anything that resembles either.  Bubbles are known to pop up from time to time, but certainly not this morning.  "Mommy, oooo, oooo, oooo -- bubbles!" again, this time waving his hand in the air like he was actually trying to catch or pop the bubbles.  I'm wondering if he's pretending.  That would be kind of cool!  Or hallucinating?  Not so cool.  When I stood up I looked one last time for the bubbles and then it happened!  I saw them, too.  They were teeny, tiny little things, but there they were, plain as the dust particles floating ever so bubble-like in the bright morning sunshine coming thru the window.  Thank you, little man, for helping me see dust in a whole new light.

3 comments:

  1. Awww... don't you love how they see the beauty in the tiniest thing, like dust. Cute story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww! Great story. Thanks Loic for the new outlook towards dust...much better then how I usually see it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet! It's great when kids point out beauty where we've neglected to see it.

    And, another reason not to clean!

    ReplyDelete