Thursday, April 16, 2009

Keeping Up with Haley's Mom

Laurence goes to school on Thursdays and Fridays, Thursdays being "cold lunch" days, meaning I pack him a lunch.  I don't know what it is, but this is one task I'd rather not have to do.  But I do it anyway, and do it with love, of course.  When Laurence isn't watching I sneak a little treat in there -- a fruit roll-up, a couple of cookies, or something along those lines.  On the way home from school I always ask him if he ate all of his lunch because when he happily says, "I found a fruit roll-up in there!" (or whatever it was that day) it makes the dreaded lunch-making almost worthwhile.  Today it was some candy from his Easter basket.  I was anxious to hear his response to my usual question, but I never got the chance to ask.  We weren't even out of the parking lot at school when he said, "Mommy, can you pack a card in my lunch next week?"  "A card?  What do you mean?" I asked.  "A card that you write to me...to remind me that you love me.  That's what Haley's mom does."  He continued, "I want one of those every week."  Ouch.  I guess Haley's mom truly knows how to pack a lunch with love.  Maybe this is my problem with packing lunches.  My approach has been all wrong.    

1 comment:

  1. Oh, bah on you comparing yourself to some other mom! You are great just as you are.

    ReplyDelete