Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Heard Over a Cup of Hot Chocolate

I keep telling people that Laurence can read, mostly to convince myself, I think.  I don't mean to brag, nor sound like a broken record.  It's just that I'm not at all used to this new skill.  No, not "new" skill.  Growing skill.  RAPIDLY growing skill.  When I hear him tackle a new word or use a rule he's just learned, I find myself at a loss for words.  And that's pretty rare -- me at a loss for words.  

Just this morning he was looking at the folder we got from the vet and read "My Important Documents" with no hesitation.  I looked over at him, mouth wide open, and could think of nothing to say.  I know I looked like a fool.  "WHAT, Mommy?" he asked.  "Did you just read 'My important documents?'" I replied.  He giggled and said, "Yes, but why are you looking at me that way?  That IS what it says."  Right.  Of course.  "Oh, I know.  I just forget that you can read such big words," I told him.  With that, he went to take another sip of his hot chocolate, but paused, looking thoughtfully at the mug he was holding.  "Duke Schedule Training...June 2007."  Perfect.  Right down to the non-American pronunciation of schedule.  (You know -- "sh" instead of "sk.")  OK, I'm convinced.  Laurence can read.

1 comment:

  1. Now you'll have to keep your blog password potected, or you'll be done in by his skill!

    ReplyDelete