Friday, September 4, 2009

What's that sound?

Oh, what a crazy & emotional week it's been. Monday the family got to get a glimpse of our newest family member at my ultrasound, one day shy of 22 weeks. Laurence was thrilled, and loved hearing the heartbeat, but wondered if we could hear the baby fussing! The technician told him the heartbeat was the only sound we'd hear, and he seemed satisfied. Oh, and no, we didn't find out what we're having, and yes, we didn't find out on purpose. We love being surprised on the day of delivery! I thought both boys were girls, Bill thought both boys were boys...this time I'm sure it's a boy and he's convinced it's a girl. Chances are...

That night after the doctor's appointment we went to the open house at the elementary school where Laurence is starting kindergarten. He's been quite excited ever since he finished preschool in the spring, and this night was no different. Then Wednesday we went to meet with his teacher and have his 1:1 assessment, which he also found intriguing and he was certainly not ready to leave! Today was his first full day, which was all he could talk about yesterday. Even this morning he woke up all smiles...yet, I still had this nagging feeling... He did great up until we got to the playground and saw all those kids. The tears starting flowing, followed by "I'm not going!" repeated over and over thru the sobs. He calmed down a bit when we lined up by the kindergarten door, but as the kids starting filing in he lost it again. This time it was screams! There was my kid, the only kid screaming and yelling, or even crying for that matter. Oh, help. The teacher & I pried him off me, and I walked away. Yet I could still hear the horrible sound from the playground...Laurence screaming inside the hall. Needless to say it was a very hard & sad day for me. Luckily, when I picked him up the teacher said he had a great day, which Laurence followed up with, "Once I got into the hall, my heart felt better and I stopped crying." He concurred that it was a great day. Phew. Now we must tackle riding the bus...

There's no mistaking baby heartbeats & kindergartners screaming, but this morning there was a mysterious sound in the house that had me stumped. As I shut off the shower, I heard what sounded like a motor running, and it appeared to be coming from the shower head. It got louder and softer as I moved the head around, turned the water on & off, and played with the water flow settings, but it did not stop. I tried turning on the sink, thinking the two must be linked and maybe that would do the trick. Nope. At one point Bill called from work and I asked him if he heard the sound earlier, and even held the phone up to the shower head. He said he thought he heard something after his shower, but that it sounded like it was outside. He encouraged me to check the basement to be sure there weren't any leaks...or flooding! I finished getting dressed and was about to go downstairs when Laurence stopped me and said, "What were you and Daddy talking about?" "The sound in the shower," I said, "do you hear it?" He stopped, listened, then said with a hint of "duh, mom" in his voice, "Is your razor on?" I burst out laughing and said, "Yep! That's got to be it!" Sure enough, my fancy little Gilette Power razor had apparently gotten bumped and turned on without me realizing it. Laurence giggled and giggled and felt so proud for solving the mystery. We even called Bill back on the way to school to tell him, and he got a good laugh, too. Thank goodness for laughter - like the other sounds this week, there's no mistaking it.

1 comment:

  1. Great post. What a week for your family. I'm so glad to hear that Laurence had a good day. I hope the going to school part gets better next week.